Red Barn Cafe-

Life is hectic - Savor every Bite!








Saturday, May 2, 2015

5 Day Salad Bar

Trying to eat healthy can be time consuming. I like the health benefit of eating salad 5 days a week but don't always take the time to put a satisfying salad together, so I decided to prep my "salad bar" once a week. The night before I pick out what I want in my salad and I'm off to work, feeling a little bit healthier. The food prep pictured took me under an hour.

Besides the basics shown in the picture below, I like to add some protein. I feel it's way more satisfying. This could include leftover rotisserie chicken, tuna, simply turkey (turkey breast cooked without preservatives and sodium- I get it at a local deli that cooks their own.) cooked shrimp or fish, (I love salmon in salads) from last night's dinner, leftover turkey burgers or hard boiled eggs. Toppings may include sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, toasted almonds or walnuts, dried cranberries, slices of apples, orange, pineapple. Other accompaniments can include green olives, artichokes, avacados, shredded brussels sprouts, roasted red peppers (I make my own), cooked green beans or cauliflower, broccoli. Whatever you like can go into your own healthy lunch!

The bonus? whatever is leftover at the end of the work week can be turned into Stir frys (see the big salad bowl?), soups, or frittatas.


No comments: